07 November 2012

Going vintage (and my solution)

I know I only recently posted about my filofax changes here and here, but I've already been having doubts about using a slimline as my main binder... Going through my Malden I got rid of lots of rubbish, but still had notes that wouldn't fit in my Adelphi but I still wanted to keep or go through. And that's when the craziness began! I remembered something one day and thought, "Great, that's in the back of my filofax" but then, "Oh, it's not as it doesn't fit any more". It was in my A5, but just wasn't as easy to find and now I needed to look in two separate places. The final straw came when I was arranging some paperwork for a holiday and I'm not sure if a slimline will be big enough for a week away but I don't want to take my A5 with me too. Uh-oh.

I've found (in my brief trial) that a slimline may appeal to my minimalist heart, but it's just not big enough for me to carry sufficient spare paper, inspirational quotes/notes along with all my essentials like my to-do lists and project info. I could imagine myself using it as a wallet or as a satellite filo when out and about but I want to simplify, not increase the number of binders I own.

And here is my solution, a personal Ascot purchased from the lovely Renate via the Adspot page. This is one classy binder and the perfectly aligned rings shut with a louder and more satisfying snap than on any of my newer models'. It also feels more luxurious than the two Winchesters I briefly had in my possession.

Pretty similar to the Osterleys (I think) and less puffy than the Amazonas

The only proper sign of wear is where some of the stitching has gone from by the pen loop, but I'm hoping it'll hold on OK

8 card slots, 2 full length/width gusseted pockets with ring protectors, one small pen loop and the F on the ring mechanism (rather than on the exterior spine) 

It feels much slimmer than either of my personal Maldens did, and I'll be moving to top tabs as the side ones get a bit stuck on my pen


Some extra goodies kindly included! 
I never imagined owning a black filo when there are so many colourful ones to choose from. And now I realise that it depends on the binder! After a little TLC using Nivea and shoe polish, I realised that I've found 'the one' (hallelujah). Despite singing the praises of my A5 Domino snake I've barely touched it and it's been sitting looking pretty on my bookcase, I'm afraid. For a brief moment, I considered using all sizes together but I know that three is just too many for me. So, now what? My beautiful A5 will be winging its way to Norway shortly and after several attempts now I've realised that one is perfect for me, so the others will be going too. So please remind me of this if I start talking about buying any more.

On a final note, does anyone know more info about this model, for example what leather they're made from, when they were available or why they were made in the US? I'd love to find out a little more of their history.

15 comments:

  1. Anita, this binder looks absolutely gorgeous! I don't know much about its background, just some trivia: Diane Keaton seems to be a huge fan of the Ascot. In her movies she often has various Filofaxes "lingering" around the scenes. E.g. in Something's gonna give, she has 2 A5 Ascot-binders on her desk.
    Did you browse the vintage catalogs on the Facebook page? Maybe there's an Ascot listed, which could give you a clue to its production year?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently our Philofaxy-reader (and blogger) Vanjilla knows more about the Ascot:
    http://vanjilla.blogspot.nl/2012/05/filofax-ascot-a5.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tweeted about this yesterday, but I found an online store in the Netherlands which sells new, vintage Filofax and Succes binders. They've got the names all mixed up, but it might be worth it to look around, because there are some bargains. http://venloffice.nl/list.php?path=31&sort=Artikel&page=25

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bargains indeed : lots (!) of Balmoral (pockets, and even two M2, in black and in red!), a personal almond amazon, a Cross M2 in black, and so on. Oh, the temptation :)

      You're right, though : *none* of the Filofax binders have their proper names, but as we are more than Filofax-litterate, it's easy to recognise models...

      Delete
  4. I may be wrong but I have always assumed that the only time any Filofaxes were made in the USA was during the 1998 to 2001 period when the brand was owned by Californian-based competitor, Day Runner. After a short and torrid time, company ownership (but not manufacture) came back to the UK when Filofax was purchased by Letts, financed by Scottish venture capitalists Dunedin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, this is beautiful! The leather definitely looks similar to the Osterleys I have and I am rather envious of your Ascot! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have often thought the Osterleys to be essentially another go at the Ascot since getting my own beautiful black A5 Ascot in mint condition from a very nice lady on eBay back in August. I've found the leather quite hard wearing so far (not showing any marks, and I don't treat it with any particularly special care), and the quality is superb. The only set of rings which work more nicely in my collection are those in my leather Duplex wallet, which dates from around the mid 80s I think - I don't own any modern Filos but those I've looked at in shops just don't seem anywhere near as well put together as my vintage ones. I have to say I'm jealous of the ring protectors in your personal though - the A5 Ascot hasn't got them! Maybe I shall be looking for a personal to complete the set...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Anita, what a wonderful post!!!
    And I'm so happy to see you being so much in love with it!!! :-)
    So enjoy it!!!
    Best, Renate

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a beauty! Love all those card pockets and the position they are in. And sometimes black is just the perfect color for certain binders. I was all about color until I got my black compact chameleon and I love it. My black Holborn is due today...listening for the FedEx truck as I type, lol. Never thought I'd have 2 black binders but sometimes its the only choice and other times it is the right choice. Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  9. FedEx just left; got the Holborn. It's soft. It's got lots of pockets. The rings seems to be aligned. Score. But, it's black and it's...boring. I don't know. Maybe I should have kept the black Malden. But I wanted the grey and it wasn't on offer so thought I'd try the Holborn (which was on offer). I have a headache...lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me laugh!! I can so totally relate when considering what binder I want (color, size, etc.)!

      Delete
  10. There's a personal ascot on ebay.de at this very moment; shipping to the UK and Germany...

    http://www.ebay.de/itm/Rare-Black-Croc-Effect-Ascot-Personal-Filofax-/261123269980?pt=UK_BOI_Office_Office_Supplies_Stationery_ET&hash=item3ccc28e55c#ht_468wt_68

    For those of you who might be interested, it currently bids at 15 GBP (approx. 20 EUR), and the auction ends in a day and a half.

    Ready, steady... GO!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have an Ascot Mini in Burgundy that I carry every day as a notebook. (I use a personal as my planner.) Very nice design. The only mini I have that is really small enough to fit in a man's shirt pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely! I don't even think I saw this on Adspot, good find! I'm actually considering a vintage model as well, and because the colors would be limited, I'd probably get in in black, which would be refreshing after so much color.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous binder. I'm looking for another FF to add to my vintage family and I think I might have just been enabled!

    To simplify my life, I've increased my FF family to allow expansion into specific aspects of my Life-Grid.

    ReplyDelete