27 December 2012

New Filofax diary layout to download – CC inspired A5 and Personal

It's been a while since we've published a new layout, but this one was a special request. Ray and I often get requests from readers of Philofaxy and My Life All In One Place and usually we're happy to oblige, although because of the various other demands on our time it won't always be overnight.

A reader who liked the Personal CC inspired layout asked if we could produce an A5 version. Well, of course we could.

Here it is:

The CC look is clean and uncluttered and respects weekends when so many layouts seem to consider them an inconvenience.

You can download finished versions for this year from our diary inserts page
They are created as A4 documents. To use them as A5 inserts, print the document in booklet mode on A4 paper, then use a guillotine to divide each sheet into two and punch the required holes, which the templates are set up with mirrored gutters to accommodate. Or, if you have A5 paper, then either the printer or the PC will scale it to size for you.

Of course, you can print these on any paper you like; coloured, patterned and fountain pen-friendly are all options, as is plain white A4 printer paper.

If you want to tinker, you can download the Word base file and the Excel data file. (You will need both files) As long as you have some basic Word and Excel skills, you should be able to give this a go. You'll need to be able to set up a basic mail merge file link, and there are plenty of web tutorials that show you the way - Google using the search terms: Word Excel Mail Merge 20xx (where 'xx' is 02, 03, 07 or 10, depending on your version.)

Depending on what version of Word you're using, Word may put section breaks between every record, which will throw out the mirrored gutter formatting in the layout. If it does, the solution is quite simple; do a find and replace on section breaks (^b) to remove them all. You'll also need to add a single page break to the front of the merged document so that each 2-page spread has gutters in the middle for the holes.

Additionally we also have a Personal size version of this layout on Personal Paper available.

You can download finished versions for this year from our diary inserts page.  

To print the document on Personal Paper you might find this help guide useful.

Similarly if you wish to make your own alterations to the files you can download the Word Base file and the Excel data file (You will need both file).

As long as you have some basic Word and Excel skills, you should be able to give this a go. You'll need to be able to set up a basic mail merge file link, and there are plenty of web tutorials that show you the way - Google using the search terms: Word Excel Mail Merge 20xx (where 'xx' is 02, 03, 07 or 10, depending on your version.)

Depending on what version of Word you're using, Word may put section breaks between every record, which will throw out the mirrored gutter formatting in the layout. If it does, the solution is quite simple; do a find and replace on section breaks (^b) to remove them all. You'll also need to add a single page break to the front of the merged document so that each 2-page spread has gutters in the middle for the holes.

12 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Steve. Is there any chance we could have the Personal day on two pages on Personal size paper rather than A4? Not sure how much work is involved in outputting the the personal size paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So the A4 design but on Personal paper? I think we can manage that. Might take a little while to do, but it is possible.

      Steve

      Delete
    2. I much prefer printing direct onto personal paper - it's much easier with my printer - I seem to have problems lining up the A4 - it never seems to be right when I come to trim it! Must be the way my mind works!

      Delete
    3. I agree Alison....all that cutting and punching doesn't do anything for me. I prefer to print straight onto pre-punched FF plain Personal sized paper. Getting the right sized output was easier in Ms Word 2007 than it is in 2010, which now picks up all its paper sizes from those held by the printer itself, but it's not impossible to create a blank template for Personal size (I have one which I use regularly). I can send you one if I haven't already....just let me know

      Delete
    4. Thanks David - I'm pretty proficient in Word 2010 and have several ones I have created. It's the day on two pages diary I'm interested in! I'm aiming for all cream - diary and lists. There are quite a few diary formats that you can't even buy in cream even if you want to, and the day to a page and 2 pages a day are among them. At this rate I'm going to need much bigger rings!

      Delete
    5. Are 30mm the largest available size for Personal size binders? I'm prepared to allow and consider non-FF binders here......

      Delete
    6. I am trying to prin the personal size week on 2 pages as well, but i can't do it. It prints on A4 (no problems with a5). which is the setting that we have to use on the printer?

      Delete
  2. I am very interested in printing this layout. love the simple uncluttered layout for my A5 filofax. but i am new to this and well just not to savvy on the know how of it all. it seems like weeks are missing how do i print this out. racking my brain looking for a link or something for the missing sections. i am so sure that i have no clue how to do this but if its not to much of a bother could i get a step by step on how to print this and get all the weeks on it. thank you and sorry if this has been answered else where.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you.I am very happy about the source files, but i would like to change the language in German in my calender. How can i do that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you need to change the field codes. Do a Google search on Date Field codes and language change.
      http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2007-word/date-mail-merge-format-from-french-to-englsih/99ba3a29-000f-4208-be0e-29895cb795f3

      Delete
  4. Thanks a lot for these source files! I'm trying to create custom inserts WO2P on personal paper for 2017.

    I downloaded "base diary cc personal size paper" "DatesSourceFilo_WOTP_CC_Personal.xls" and, even before doing any alterations, some weeks are missing when I merge the word document: for example, the week from the 31st dec 2015 to 6th january 2016 is missing, and so on, about every month. I also notice that the word file doesn't include any WADateMo, WADateTu etc wheareas the excel documents includes these columns. Could it be why dates are missing when merging? That'd be great if you could help me fix this.
    Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was linked to the wrong Excel file in this post compared to the one I was using off line to create the 2017 inserts. It should be ok now.

      Steve

      Delete