31 January 2016

Reader Under The Spotlight - Beris

Hi I’m Beris and I’m a 40 something administrator who has planner, journal, organisational envy.  I have two cats, two dogs, two daughters (grown up and left home) and a husband.

I’m like a lot of people and use an organiser then dumped it for the HP iPAQ, after some disasters of backups being lost or data being wiped I realised that paper was far easier and more trusted.  So back I went to paper organisers.

Three years ago there was a brief flirt with an iPad and notes plus with handwriting recognition before returning to Filofax.  At the start of the year I decided one day to search Facebook to see if anyone else was as old fashioned as me and still used a paper planner instead of their phones.  Wow, what a lovely surprise.  I am an avid lurker in many groups.

1. When did you buy your first organiser and what was it?

In 1982 for my birthday.  It was not a Filofax but it was a close facsimilie from Debenhams that was in my price range.  It was a black pocket plastic made to look like leather organiser.  It only had calendar, address, notes and budget section.  I used it for about 12 years so it must have been right for me at the time, although at the end it was split and battered and the foam from inside the front was perishing.

2. What other brands have you used or considered using?

I’ve used Filofax and FranklinCovey and one day would like a personalised Van der Spek

3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

Current favourite is my Personal Malden, so soft, smells beautiful, great to hold and looks better for being thrown into a handbag (hence personal and not A5) not worse.

4. How many Filofax or other brands of organisers do you own?

6.  Classic Cross mini (latest purchase and now my wallet), Personal Classic Cross which was my daily planner up until 7 months ago when I replaced it with my Personal Malden, Petal Pocket, Patent Compact and Franklin Covey

5. What is the oldest organiser in your collection?

My Franklin Covey, bought it in 2005 after doing a 7 habits course and used the 7 habits inserts A5 size for over 2 years.

6. What do you use your organisers for?

Just had a big sort out of this to try and get me focused.
  • Franklin Covey is just a container for paper now, currently under my desk
  • Classic cross mini is my wallet with a page of emergency numbers and a month to view that I mark off days I’m not available, always with me.  
  • Personal Malden my day to day planner, nearly always with me.
  • Classic cross personal is personal stuff, budget planning, password keeper, christmas and birthday present ideas.  
  • Patient compact is used for lists of things, books, films, web pages to browse, things I want to find out about and spare paper.
  • Petal pocket is my fitness journal

7. How many sections do you have in your organiser and what is each section used for?

I have 5 sections.  Diary with Wo2p horizontal, notes section, Projects, To Do and finally Contacts

8. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?

It helped you to be organised in a way that suited you.

9. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

Bigger rings in the personal but less weight, not sure it could ever be done.

10. How do you carry your Filofax?

Throw it in my handbag.

11. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?

Malden, if I can find a reason I would have one in every size.

12. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax or other brand of organiser? Which model?

That was my Franklin Covey

13. What's your favourite Filofax tip or hack?

Find what is right for you, not what you think you should have.  Just because it came with the filofax doesn’t mean you have to use it or it is in the right format.  Experiment.

14. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?

Who doesn’t love a Saturday morning with web finds and a cup of coffee.

15. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?

The links on the web finds don’t open up a new window.  So many times I get lost down the rabbit hole of links and forget which was the original I was looking at.  But that is not the fault of Philofaxy but of my distracted mind.

16. What was the last music track you downloaded or bought?

Shine my shoes by Robbie Williams

17. Have you ever attended a Philofaxy meet-up? if not do you intend to one day?

No.  It would be good to meet up one day.

18. What was the last movie you watched?

Minions

19. What was the last book you read?

Make Me (Jack Reacher) by Lee Child

Thank you Beris.

As you know we are always looking for new people to appear in our 'Reader Under Spotlight feature, you don't have to be 'well known' or a long term user to be considered to appear in this 'spot'.

So please contact Steve philofaxy at gmail dot com today. Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. Regarding the links not opening in a new window -- if you right click on the link you'll get a menu, from which you can choose "open link in a new tab (or window)" -- both options are there. I click on most links like this for the exact reason you mentioned.

    Nice to "meet" you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Find what is right for you, not what you think you should have." Wise, wise words. I very much enjoyed your post. You sound like such a fun person! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to meet you, Beris!

    ReplyDelete