21 January 2016

Reader Under The Spotlight - Diane

Today I would like to introduce you to Diane


Hello, My name is Diane.  I am originally from Canada,  and now living in Ireland.

I am knit obsessed so I love exploring ways to intertwine it with "Filofaxing" and "knitworking" for the Dublin Knit Collective.

I embrace technology and have a love for my gadgets however, I reacquainted myself with the Filofax two years ago after I overlooked a few dates  that I stored on my smartphone and subsequently had a domino effect on other appointments in my life.  It has been pen to paper ever since.

1. When did you buy your first organiser and what was it?

My first organizer was a pocket Filofax IDENTITY  which was purchased in 1990.

2. What other brands have you used or considered using?

I have used Filofax, Quo Vadis, and other generic spiral bound notebook type planners.  Recently I purchased a ZLCK Traveler Notebook and I have fallen down the rabbit hole looking at unboxing and set up videos on You Tube.

3. Out of the organisers you own which is your current favourite (Style and Size)?

I LOVE my personal patent Purple Original which I use as my main planner.  This was a milestone  birthday gift from my parents.

4. How many Filofax or other brands of organisers do you own?
  • Mini Pimlico
  • Pocket Identity
  • Pocket Classic
  • Pocket Indie
  • Pocket Pak
  • Personal Domino
  • Personal Original
  • A5 leather ringed binder, brand unknown.
  • MCM A5 4-ring binder
5. What is the oldest organiser in your collection?

My oldest organiser is an A5 MCM 4-ring binder pocket. I'm not sure of the year, but it is stamped "Made in W Germany" on the inside of the binder.

6. What do you use your organisers for?

I currently use  personal as my main planner and to organise the various aspects of my personal and "knitworking" projects for the Dublin Knit Collective.

Prior to April of this year, I used a pocket Filofax on and off since 1989, but mainly as a calendar/notebook.

I only moved into a personal Filofax when I discovered Philofaxy and the wonderful world of this online community in early 2015.

As an avid and somewhat obsessed knitter, I use the  pocket PAK as a knitting organiser. I love the casual and urban look of this ringed binder, with its front-flap pocket, two back pockets and card slots which is ideal for storing my KnitPro interchangeable knitting needle system.

I use the other organisers to store inserts and dividers.

7. How many sections do you have in your organiser and what is each section used for?

My main planner ( personal Original) has 5 sections: project planning subdivided into teaching plans and event planning for the Dublin Knit Collective,  tasks/to do, calender, which houses a year at a glance, monthly calender, horizontal week on two pages, a modified Bullet Journal, and the A to Z is a filing system of all sorts of information at my finger tips.

8. What was the feature about Filofax you like most?

I love how I can personalise my Filofax to suit my own needs. No two Filofaxes are alike.

9. If you could design your own Filofax what would it feature?

I love the simplicity of the Original.  I would re-invent this design for the knit enthusiast.  How about  a textured pattern like knit stitches, lace or cabled patterns embossed on the leather?

10. How do you carry your Filofax?

I slip my patent Original Filofax in a hand knit sleeve to protect it from the elements of my chaotic handbag.

11. Which Filofax in the current range do you like the most? Are you going to buy it?

I love  the Original... an A5 is on my wishlist.

12. What is the most you have ever spent on a Filofax or other brand of organiser? Which model?

The most I've ever spent on a Filofax was £10 for a pocket Identity. I've been very lucky at  finding three Filofax planners in charity shops for less than €3. The classic and Original were gifted to me by my family.

13. What's your favourite Filofax tip or hack?

My creative/workspace is so chaotic and I love that my Filofax creates the illusion of being organised with dividers, tabs, post it notes and colour - coding.

I now have a laminator so I've made a few dividers and bookmarkers.

14. Turning to Philofaxy, what do you like the most?

Webfinds!  I look forward to Saturday mornings so I can read the weekly roundup with a cup of tea.

15. And what do you not like about Philofaxy?

There is nothing I do not like.

16. What was the last music track you downloaded or bought?

I just discovered signed up for a Spotify account.  So I've been creating playlists for my listening pleasure. I just downloaded the album,  Always - The Very Best of Erasure.

17. Have you ever attended a Philofaxy meet-up? if not do you intend to one day?

I have never been to an official Philofaxy meet up.  However, I hosted a Dublin meet up last April and a creative Filofaxing meetup last November.

18. What was the last movie you watched?

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

19. What was the last book you read?

Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín after seeing the film of the same name.

Thank you Diane.

As you know we are always looking for new people to appear in our 'Reader Under Spotlight feature, you don't have to be 'well known' or a long term user to be considered to appear in this 'spot'. We also now have a new set of questions.

So please contact Steve philofaxy at gmail dot com today. Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Hello from another knit-obsessed Canadian Filofaxer 😃 - there seems to be quite a few of us in the Philofaxy Facebook group.

    ReplyDelete