21 March 2016

Crocodile Dundee

Since selling my A5 Amazona and Ascots (personal and A5), I realised that I do have a soft spot for croc print binders and missed having one. I wasn't specifically on the look out, but was surprised when I managed to pick a black personal Dundee up for a good price on eBay. I have enjoyed Janet's post about her green one and the Sewing Sloth's. I am a bit behind with my posts for here as I've been in my Dundee since purchasing it last autumn.

The leather is soft, slightly padded and it has some structure which I prefer in my personal sized binders. Like the personal Ascot, it has a very slim profile which I like and lies flat.



The seller described it as having 'a nice patina' on the eBay listing, but that translated in real life to a bit beaten up! I gave it a wipe with a damp cloth, put on some neatsfoot oil and finally a small amount of black shoe polish to help restore the colour. I'm really pleased with the results as the leather seemed to appreciate the TLC and now looks great.

Of all the binders that I've owned, I think this is my preferred layout.
On the left hand side, there are eight credit card slots, with a full length pocket behind with a pen loop. On the right, there is a full length zipped pocket, another full length slip pocket in front and a pen loop. The two pen loops are very handy and I like that the zipper part of the right pocket is covered up.
More info and other colours on the Filowiki.


Whilst I'm a big Ascot fan, I think that I actually prefer the layout and print on this Dundee which I wasn't expecting. It holds lots, will wear well and I can use it as a wallet.


Just noticed the cat photobomb! 



9 comments:

  1. Hi Anita, what a lovely looking binder. I hope the internal layout works well for you. I am awaiting the arrival of a Personal Holborn in brown which I hope may be my new EDC (we shall see....). Looking forward to seeing you soon, despite the many cancellations by me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, David. I'm very pleased with the Dundee & the internal layout is a large part of that. Looking forward to seeing you soon with your new Holborn!

      Delete
  2. I, too, appreciate the look and feel
    of croco-embossed fine leather, especially when I've seen it used in vintage Filofaxes.
    The pocket layout of the Filofax Ascot has always been a favorite of mine.
    But now, after seeing your photos, the Dundee looks like it would work just as well for me--perhaps even better!!
    The hunt has begun!
    Thanks for your informative post, Anita. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree & I wonder how much it has softened with age & use. It's great that it's both soft & structured at the same time for me. Good luck with your hunt. They do come up from time to time.

      Delete
  3. Amazing what a little TLC will do. Take something back to it's absolute gorgeousness. Is there another range with a similar layout and the double pen loops?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enjoyed giving some of my binders a bit of a make over.

      I was just trying to remember & Janet did a great post comparing the Tejus & Dundee as they have identical layouts:
      http://thisbugslife.com/2014/01/09/comparisons-green-dundee-and-green-tejus/

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Anita. I'll look into that.

      Delete
  4. I own a green Dundee and love it. It doesn't get much use, as when I am in personal I usually am in my red Winchester, and lately am not using the personal size at all. But the green Dundee is lovely and lush and from time to time it is really a pleasure to swap everything into it for a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear that you love your green Dundee, Josh. They are wonderful binders & I can understand you normally being in your red Winchester too!

      Delete