29 March 2011

US (New York) Meet Up

I'm very grateful to Kanalt for stepping forward to take on the organisation of a US meet up. Please see the announcement below..... I will be supporting her as much as possible to make this happen and make it a success.


With all the excitement and buzz regarding this past Saturday’s London Meet Up, I thought this was a good time to discuss the potential of a US meet up.  There has already been some talk and some interest in this.  I am volunteering to organize a New York City Meet Up.

Like the London Meet Up, there would need to be a limit of how many people could attend, for logistical reasons—travel, lunch and shopping accommodations, etc.  Several items would need to be discussed—date, time and place to meet, a venue for lunch and shopping.  There are several shops in NYC that sell Filofax products. 

If you are interested, please email Philofaxy philofaxy at gmail dot com and put “New York Meet Up” in the subject line.  Those emails will be forwarded to me and I will then email the interested parties myself and create a list so that we can start discussing ideas.
 
 
If you are interested in organising a Philofaxy meet up in your part of the world, you might like to read my notes, most of it is common sense, but there might be something you hadn't thought about.

13 comments:

  1. I'd love a meet up in the Midlands (UK) but of course it wouldn't work properly without the Filofax shop and there are no decent outlets - even in Birmingham the choice is limited! I'll just have to bite the bullet and do a trip to London!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why, oh why?? Do I have to live at the edge of the earth?? The impossibility of an Albuquerque meetup is just sad...:O(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rori, internal flight to NYC? has to be cheaper than a trans-atlantic flight to London?

    Do a bit of research and see if it's feasible or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to be in New York at the beginning of August so if a meet up takes place during that time I would love to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I'm off in early August too and could check into cheap flights. But what's the best "season" for Filofax-hunting?! After January, I couldn't find a single planner at T.J. Maxx, Marshall's, etc. any more. Maybe August, with back-to-school sales, would be good?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd love to fly out as it's a 9 hour drive from WV. Hopefully our crappy airport has puddle-jumpers going out that weekend. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ror, I live in Santa Fe, NM - we can have our own meetup!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a veteran of the Boston-New York rail corridor...I'd be happy to share advice with anyone who's interested in making the journey.

    Expedia can be a big help with getting a discount on a hotel room.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although there is no viable Filofax stockist or shop that I know of, I live in the South West of England and would like to propose a meet-up in Bristol. This might *just* be accessible from as far away as Birmingham, but would take in the whole of Somerset and Dorset, Devon for those who were prepared to do the travel, and even Oxfordshire and the Home Counties for the more energetic.

    Any takers? And does anyone know of a decent FF stockist in Bristol or the surrounding area? There's a stationery shop on Park Street but it's pretty horrible-looking, and not an 'authorised' FF stockist.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think a good solution would be to have scheduled regional meet ups so that everyone can experience the joys

    ReplyDelete
  11. Adam & Petra - We could definitely do another meet up in the beginning of August. Let us know the dates of when you'll be here and we'll see what we can do. The more the merrier!

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Steve: Will check it out!
    @Mywormy HEY!! A NM FILOFAXER!!
    Do you have any good stores there? The only one I can find in Albq. has a really small stock.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i would love to meet up in ny! unfortunately i don't think i could do it this year. kinda low on cash these days. boo. it sucks too as besides kate's and sam flax there is this stationary store in the village i used to go to a lot that had a fairly decent filofax selection. that was awhile ago though so not sure if it's even still there. that place rocked. i couldn't even tell you the streets where it was or the nameof the place - i just know how to get there

    ReplyDelete